New computer build.

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Virt

Re: New computer build.

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote:Young Virt, I did know about the start button for W8, but didn't know about the task bar option, so cheers for that. I don't know very much about AMD cpu's, so I have learned a bit more from your reply. One thing I did read is that a 3.2Ghz quote for an AMD processor is less speed than 3.2Ghz for an Intel processor. So AMD must use a different method than Intel for working that figure out which could be misleading I feel. That Medion PC from Aldi has a integrated graphic's card as I understand it, integrated into the motherboard. Although not all AMD pc's have that type of motherboard.

Jazz, my thoughts on W8 are it's more to do with a new learning process that put people off, plus with it being so new at the launch there were bound to be issues that needed ironing out. I agree you have to move with the times, or you get left behind.

Chris.
3.2Ghz is 3.2Ghz, there is no difference in terms of how many processes it can perform within a second. The Intel and AMD cpu's use a different instruction set entirely, not all of the AMD's ones are as streamlined as Intel's. But that's to be expected anyway. It would still be equivalent to a high 2.xGhz for an intel. Most likely within the region of 2.7/8. Which is still a fast processor by any means, my Macbook runs an intel dual core 2.4Ghz and the compile times on that alone are enough. Rendering takes a while, but that's because I'm missing 2 cores and HT.

And I'm pretty sure you can get taskbar's. I do think that's what my friend said when he tried telling me how good it was. (Just done a google search for windows 8 taskbars, there seems to be one included as standard?)
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Virt wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Young Virt, I did know about the start button for W8, but didn't know about the task bar option, so cheers for that. I don't know very much about AMD cpu's, so I have learned a bit more from your reply. One thing I did read is that a 3.2Ghz quote for an AMD processor is less speed than 3.2Ghz for an Intel processor. So AMD must use a different method than Intel for working that figure out which could be misleading I feel. That Medion PC from Aldi has a integrated graphic's card as I understand it, integrated into the motherboard. Although not all AMD pc's have that type of motherboard.

Jazz, my thoughts on W8 are it's more to do with a new learning process that put people off, plus with it being so new at the launch there were bound to be issues that needed ironing out. I agree you have to move with the times, or you get left behind.

Chris.
3.2Ghz is 3.2Ghz, there is no difference in terms of how many processes it can perform within a second. The Intel and AMD cpu's use a different instruction set entirely, not all of the AMD's ones are as streamlined as Intel's. But that's to be expected anyway. It would still be equivalent to a high 2.xGhz for an intel. Most likely within the region of 2.7/8. Which is still a fast processor by any means, my Macbook runs an intel dual core 2.4Ghz and the compile times on that alone are enough. Rendering takes a while, but that's because I'm missing 2 cores and HT.

And I'm pretty sure you can get taskbar's. I do think that's what my friend said when he tried telling me how good it was. (Just done a google search for windows 8 taskbars, there seems to be one included as standard?)
Actually, depending on what you do, for some specific tasks the AMD is actually faster than an equivalent Intel one, Ghz for Ghz... But unless you are doing very specific things like post processing of video and such, Ghz = Ghz, and that's it...

My gripe with W8 is that it's a compromise between a touch GUI and a "normal" GUI... So whenever I use a touch screen I miss my keyboard and mouse, and whenever I use the keyb & mouse, I want the touch... Plain and simple, it's a compromise, and as such it makes two things half-arsed... But yeah, you can make it into a slightly more annoying W7 version with a little work... I still prefer Ubuntu though, it does what I tell it too, without pissing me off half the time...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My gripe with W8 is that it's a compromise between a touch GUI and a "normal" GUI...
This is the problem with all modern OS systems. It's more about the gadgetry and looks rather than usability. Release the products, hype it up, get the users to do their Beta testing and complain about this that and the other and find work around's/hacks, and most of all making money out of us. They then use our work around's/hacks for the next OS system and it all starts again. :evil:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:
My gripe with W8 is that it's a compromise between a touch GUI and a "normal" GUI...
This is the problem with all modern OS systems. It's more about the gadgetry and looks rather than usability. Release the products, hype it up, get the users to do their Beta testing and complain about this that and the other and find work around's/hacks, and most of all making money out of us. They then use our work around's/hacks for the next OS system and it all starts again. :evil:

Use a linux system then. They're the best by far :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If I could run Final Cut Pro and all the Adobe Apps on Linux I would. :biggrin

==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many thanks to all who contributed to this topic. It helped me to decide to go for the Medion PC that Aldi has on offer.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... esktop-pc/

I was fully intending to build my own pc as I mentioned and had been reading up about doing just that over the last six mths or more, I had even worked out which components I would be using more or less.

There was no way I could match that offer, and that included a 3yrs guarantee. So as some of you boys pointed out, the Medion is good value.

Talking about a Linus system, I had been using/trying out Linuxmint15 running it from a boot DVD. I liked that system, and yes it worked well, even from a disk. I wasn't sure how secure it would be for banking, but from what I read it sounds like a boot disk with Linux on it is far safer than windows. I read that at one point the American Military recommended using a Linux boot disk for banking on line, as to be the safest option.
Windows 8 is going to take a bit of getting used to I know, but what I've seen so far I actually like. Whether I'll be saying the same in a weeks time, who knows :eh:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote: And I'm pretty sure you can get taskbar's. I do think that's what my friend said when he tried telling me how good it was. (Just done a google search for windows 8 taskbars, there seems to be one included as standard?)
You were right Young Virt :thumbup:

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Feels nice being right for once about something on this forum :lol: Surprising too as I know feck all about mechanics :p

How's the computer run then? I'm thinking of getting one in the near future but I can't go to the extent I wanted due to insurance on the firestorm :lol: Or any bike :thumbdown: £400 seems about what my budget can manage
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:Feels nice being right for once about something on this forum :lol: Surprising too as I know feck all about mechanics :p

How's the computer run then? I'm thinking of getting one in the near future but I can't go to the extent I wanted due to insurance on the firestorm :lol: Or any bike :thumbdown: £400 seems about what my budget can manage
I knew I was taking a bit of a gamble going with this pc seeing as it was supplied with Windows 8, also seeing as I had only tried out W8 twice in pc world before this, but so far so good. There are a few things I would have had if I'd built my own that this one doesn't have, although I can live with that. One thing I was concerned about that I hadn't thought about until I got it home and was almost ready to fire it up was, I hope it's not going to be noisy. Thankfully it's not, in actual fact I say it's pretty quiet.

It's going to take sometime to get familiar with this new layout (W8) I'm sure, although only the 2nd day with it I'm already remembering bit's I found out yesterday. I'm sure you would pick it up quicker than me with you being a lot younger.

One nice little touch it has is the pc case top is made to have an external hard drive just dropped in and connected by two plugs (just like putting a digital camera battery in a mains charger is probably the best way to explain it) no cables to connect up like your normal external hard drives. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Aldi actually sell them over here in the UK. They are called HDDrive2go and use a USB3 connection which is meant to be quicker than USB2, it's designed for easy back up.

I am pleased with the way the new PC is performing, I would say it's slightly quicker than my Son's recent new build, that is running W7, but according to what I've read W8 is slightly less of a PC resources hugger than W7.

Chris.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

cybercarl wrote:If I could run Final Cut Pro and all the Adobe Apps on Linux I would. :biggrin

You can... So quite yer bellyaching and install one...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

sirch345 wrote:Many thanks to all who contributed to this topic. It helped me to decide to go for the Medion PC that Aldi has on offer.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... esktop-pc/

I was fully intending to build my own pc as I mentioned and had been reading up about doing just that over the last six mths or more, I had even worked out which components I would be using more or less.

There was no way I could match that offer, and that included a 3yrs guarantee. So as some of you boys pointed out, the Medion is good value.

Talking about a Linus system, I had been using/trying out Linuxmint15 running it from a boot DVD. I liked that system, and yes it worked well, even from a disk. I wasn't sure how secure it would be for banking, but from what I read it sounds like a boot disk with Linux on it is far safer than windows. I read that at one point the American Military recommended using a Linux boot disk for banking on line, as to be the safest option.
Windows 8 is going to take a bit of getting used to I know, but what I've seen so far I actually like. Whether I'll be saying the same in a weeks time, who knows :eh:

Chris.
Plain and simple... Windows, whatever flavor, including W7 and W8 is like a paper bag... Linux IS far more secure... Just to give you an example... You forget your password in Windows? No problem, just pop the drive in another computer, and use a couple of nifty tools to take ownership of the files, and presto... If you do the same thing on a Linux OS, you will still be sitting there with the same prompt, asking you for the same password... It takes a whole lot more work to bypass that...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tweety wrote: Plain and simple... Windows, whatever flavor, including W7 and W8 is like a paper bag... Linux IS far more secure... Just to give you an example... You forget your password in Windows? No problem, just pop the drive in another computer, and use a couple of nifty tools to take ownership of the files, and presto... If you do the same thing on a Linux OS, you will still be sitting there with the same prompt, asking you for the same password... It takes a whole lot more work to bypass that...
I'm thinking about installing a Linux O/S on my old pc,

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

I've been given a licensed copy of W8 for my personal laptop for my apprenticeship, would you recommend it now that it's been a while Chris?

They gave it to us because all the other development programs we're assigned (there's about 20) apparently run better on it. But the laptop isn't the quickest anyway so speed isn't a major concern. And any serious compilation I've ever done has always been an overnight job. Worth it? Or stick to W7?
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Speed wise, for most things, the W7 and W8 is the same... Very few things run faster on the same machine on W8... It's got more bells and whistles loading it down, to make up for the possible speed increases in the core... But yeah, a lot of new software are optimised for it, and dev software are heavily dependant on the command architecture, so that's probably mostly true...

Depends on your level of tolerance... W8 is marginally more annoying than W7... But not that much once you have turned off the most annoying features...
Virt

Post by Virt »

Tweety wrote:Speed wise, for most things, the W7 and W8 is the same... Very few things run faster on the same machine on W8... It's got more bells and whistles loading it down, to make up for the possible speed increases in the core... But yeah, a lot of new software are optimised for it, and dev software are heavily dependant on the command architecture, so that's probably mostly true...

Depends on your level of tolerance... W8 is marginally more annoying than W7... But not that much once you have turned off the most annoying features...
Yeah, I meant they were optimised. I'm running on 5 hours sleep and more caffeine than I thought existed, so sorry for not being clear :lol:

Looked up specs required and my laptop barely meets them anyway so I've decided against it...

So I've just ordered my replacement :lol:

The software would probably be painfully slow on the old laptop so I'm stripping it and turning into frankenstein slow time, and the new one comes with W8 installed. All good now... I hope :lol: