New computer build.

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: New computer build.

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:I've been given a licensed copy of W8 for my personal laptop for my apprenticeship, would you recommend it now that it's been a while Chris?

They gave it to us because all the other development programs we're assigned (there's about 20) apparently run better on it. But the laptop isn't the quickest anyway so speed isn't a major concern. And any serious compilation I've ever done has always been an overnight job. Worth it? Or stick to W7?
I see you've decide to stick with W7 now Young Virt. My answer would have been more or less part of what you've already worked out.

I would have said installing W8 on a laptop would really depend on laptop spec. For the W7 V W8 argument, I would say it's down to personal choice. There will come a time when anyone who wants to run Windows with support will have to run W8 at least (W8.1 is due out soon). Support for W7 is up until 2020. If you had gone with W8 it would have been a learning curve for you to master, so would you have been prepared to put in the extra time that would be needed? We're so used to using a pc a certain way that doing things with W8 is not from memory, you have to search out the way around the system when normally you can do it from memory. This can sometimes get a little frustrating and annoying, but once you start to remember how to do those things, then It'll be a lot easier and quicker. Remember all the O/S's were new to us once. For me as you know I took a chance on switching to W8 by going with this new pc, rather than building my own which would have had W7 O/S installed. As it is I'm glad I took the chance and wouldn't want to go back to W7 now.

If you hadn't already decided I would have suggested you find a friend or family member who's running W8 and see for yourself first. Once you get onto the desktop it looks a bit more familiar :) .

You have to remember though, as with all relatively new O/S's there are bound to be little glitches and bugs to get over.

Chris.