Scam! Please read

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
VTRDark

Re: Scam! Please read

Post by VTRDark »

The thing I don't understand is that there must be some fools that click on the links otherwise they would not keep sending them.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:The thing I don't understand is that there must be some fools that click on the links otherwise they would not keep sending them.

Exactly!!!

From what I've been seeing and hearing, plus received this year, in many cases (although most unlikely in Darren's case) it is just that as Carl points out.

For those of you who don't know, never open an email if you don't know who it's from. Also if you receive an email from what looks like to be one of your contacts, but the email title looks to be out of character, email your contact first, and ask did they send it, before proceeding to open it. This might sound a little extreme to some, although in the long run it could save you and your contacts a lot of hassle.

When I say the title being out of character I'll give you an example:-
The title from one of my supposed contacts read "Tesco's Shopping", well it was highly unlikely any of my contacts would have sent me an email with that title.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's actually good practise as a rule to not open any links directly from your email app as the email app itself can be the back door into your system or direct you somewhere else. Even mail I know for sure is from friends where they have sent me a link to something I will copy and paste into my browser and open directly from my browser not my email app. It could be a link to a picture or joke they want to innocently share and being unaware it could have hidden code within it that contains a virus or ways of getting into your system and personal details.

NEVER EVER open any links from anything to do with banking or accounts you have with a website. Including when they state for example updates to terms and conditions, customer surveys etc, for example paypal, ebay, facebook etc. If your unsure then go to your browser and log in to your account directly, don't use the link provided in the mail.

While on the note of emails one of my pet hates is people that use the Carbon Copy (CC) function to send emails to people. I don't want my email address being shared with others on the list I have not personally given my email address too. This is one way of email harvesting and helping out the spammers. Ask yourself if you would you give peoples phone numbers away without asking their permission first, so don't give their address away. Please please please use the Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) for sending email to multiple people. This feature annoyingly is mostly disabled by default in most email apps and you have to switch it on from one of your menus or preferences. Please take the time to find this feature, switch it on and make use of it.

==============================Enter the Darkside